T'ai Shen Centre: A space for Chinese Pure Land Buddhism

Mindfulness within our Buddhist Practice is not just some technique but a total way of life. The ways of the world are concerned with creating results. Our practice is about creating Causes - the causes of Compassion, Wisdom and Happiness for all beings.


Saturday, February 27, 2010

Want to see a miracle?


I was some time ago talking to my Master in the grounds of the Temple. It was a sunny Spring day. The Camphor Laurel trees exuded a beautiful perfume and the leaves rustled like soft whispers of a mantra. Our conversation turned to miracles. I mentioned that many people would like to see miracles occur in their life (trying hard to hide the fact I was also referring to myself!!). "There is one happening right in front of you at this very moment if you look carefully" he stated. Thinking that he was making some reference to our dialogue I nodded that I understood. Then he laughed. Oops!!! Had I misunderstood due to my inferior Chinese? He pointed "这里!Zheli! zheli!. . .here! here!" He pointed to the ground near my feet. In his sharp vision and wit he had seen something and transformed it to a lesson for me. There I spotted a single ant carrying the carcass of a large grasshopper. "Could you do that? Could you carry something by yourself nearly eight times larger than you?" came the Venerable. "We just need to open our eyes." . . .and perhaps the eyes of our mind, I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment