T'ai Shen Centre: A space for Chinese Pure Land Buddhism

Mindfulness within our Buddhist Practice is not just some technique but a total way of life. The ways of the world are concerned with creating results. Our practice is about creating Causes - the causes of Compassion, Wisdom and Happiness for all beings.


Saturday, March 19, 2011

Do We Really Know What Matters?

I was recently reading a text about Mindfulness and came across a chapter entitled “Know What Matters”. In the context of this specific book it was referring to knowing what is important so as to take mindful action upon rather than reacting aimlessly to any thought, feeling or situation. While the advice offered in the book was based on good intention I feel it was flawed because it makes an assumption that we actually know what matters in our lives.

The question begs, “Do we really know what matters?” In Pure Land Buddhism, as in Buddhism in general, this is a vital question. It was a question which confronted me at the beginning of my journey into Buddhism.

My first teacher in Buddhism was a rugged old monk from Mt Putuo in China. I had just come through a relationship break up and was searching for answers and relief from my suffering. I recall asking the question in an almost demanding type of tone. “But what do I do?” to which the answer came: “Do what really matters”. Now, that only added further to my confusion as I did not know what really mattered. I thought I did. What mattered was my peace of mind, my happiness, my career, my income. What really mattered, I thought, at the time was earning enough money to get myself back to Australia and resume my career. These thoughts spinning through my head were quickly intercepted by the follow up question as if my teacher knew that I did not know the answer. “But do you really know what matters?” My mind drew a blank.

You see, we think we know what matters based upon our desires and cravings. The world that matters to us is our own world full of ignorance. Now in Buddhism, ignorance has less to do about intelligence or education but more to do about knowledge of a wider and higher world and the skills to live in it. It was not long ago in the history of our world that people believed that if we travelled too far we would fall off the edge of the world. People believed that if we went too far into unchartered country there would be dragons and all types of monsters. Of course, we smile, because we now have the scientific knowledge of our planet and its environment and we have skills to live within it. However, Buddhism brings us to a whole new terrain and unchartered waters that challenges our ignorance.

So often when we pursue the things that we think really matter we find ourselves like dogs chasing their tails as we end up suffering again and again. We end up often making the same mistakes over and over again then blaming ourselves in the process for our perceived stupidity. We need to be a little more compassionate on ourselves at this point. We would not expect a grade three student to be able to solve algebra equations with limited maths skills. In the same way we cannot solve the problems of life and suffering with our limited life skills. Buddhism teaches us a new set of skills to live life skilfully and thus dissolving ignorance.

I could have walked away from the old monk from Mt Putuo thinking he was a fool. Instead he helped me see life from a far different angle. In fact if it had not been for the breaking up of the romantic attachment I was craving at the time I would never had been in the set of circumstances that lead me to meeting this monk in the first place and the subsequent journey into Buddhism which was to change my life.

In Pure Land Buddhism we have a process called Inner Meditation or Naikan as it is called in Japanese Pure Land Buddhism (Jodo Shinshu). In this very powerful meditative process we examine our entire life based upon only three questions. (1) What have I received from person X? (2) What have I given to person X? (3) What troubles and difficulties have I caused person X? In essence these three questions lead us to what really matters in life.

The first two questions address the gift of life, of giving and receiving. The third question upon which we spend two thirds of our time in meditation hones in on what blocks us from the gift of life. Life is a gift to be discovered. The Buddha discovered that gift under the Bodhi tree. It is no mere coincidence that the Buddha after acetic practises that left him weak and emaciated met a young girl offering the gift of milk curds. We often overlook this part of the story of Buddhism. The Buddha was offered a gift which sustained him and changed him. There is a gift for us too which will sustain and change us. The awakened life is seeing the gift in life. This is what is really important. Life is a gift to be unwrapped and shared. It is in the unwrapping of this gift that we also discover our own giftedness. The gift of life connects us to all of life in all its beauty and abundance. This is Pure Land. This is not some pie-in-the-sky ideal; it is the only way to live life. What is the alternative?

The Naikan process also trains us to see the obstacle to life in our own attachments, anger, frustrations and greed and in the harm we cause others. When we are aware of this we are more attuned and awakened to a path that only causes continued suffering.

In our practise we learn what really matters in life and can then orient our lives and values accordingly. When we acquire the skills to live the gift of life we also become the gift of life to all sentient beings. This is being awakened. This is living life to its fullest and ending the cycle of suffering. And that is what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment